Real-life Mandorallen?

For the discussion of the works, worlds and cultures created by David and Leigh Eddings.
Grand Proprietor

Real-life Mandorallen?

Postby Peregrine » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Magician’s Gambit, Chapter 2:
She rose to her feet, brushed off her knees, and looked at him sternly. ‘Shoo!’ she said with an insistent flip of her hand. She was, after all, a princess, and he was only a lion – a very young and foolish lion.

The lion leaped.

Mandorallen flung his steel-cased arms wide and stepped forward to meet the cat’s charge. They came together with a resounding crash, and Mandorallen locked his arms around the beast’s body. The lion wrapped his huge paws around Mandorallen’s shoulders and his claws screeched deafeningly as they raked the steel of the knight’s armor. His teeth grated and ground as he gnawed and bit at Mandorallen’s helmeted head. Mandorallen tightened his deadly embrace.

With a superhuman effort, Mandorallen jerked his arms together. … The young lion’s body quivered, and his head dropped. Mandorallen unclenched his locked hands, and the dead beast slid limply from his grasp to the ground at his feet.

BBC News, 5 February 2019:
…the man sustained serious injuries after he was bitten on his face and wrist by the young male lion.

The man, who has not been named, turned after hearing a noise behind him, just as the lion lunged, officials say.

The cat died from suffocation, state wildlife officials have determined.

Re: Real-life Mandorallen?

Postby Lensman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 am

The man in reality wasn't wearing armour, either. A good example of one of those events that wouldn't be believeable in fiction but occasionally occurs in reality.

Grand Proprietor

Postby Peregrine » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:47 am

So our "Mandorallen" is a 150cm, 70kg guy who calls himself "puny", according to this (Australian) ABC News article. Not sure of their source, because while they link to a tweet that leads to this interview with the guy (11-min video), his height, weight, and self-description as "puny" isn't in there.

Still interesting to watch, though! I think my favourite part is this:
"I was able to kinda get my left knee to pin down its back legs, 'cause, as a pretty new cat owner, I realised that once you get a cat on its back, its back legs go crazy."
I made some remark to Moreta just yesterday or the day before, something along the lines of "what if one of our cats was human-sized"... and yep, this story is pretty much exactly that.

Postby steveh49 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:26 am

I like that it was a young and foolish lion in real life too.

70kg at 150cm isn't puny. It's short, but I'm 2kg heavier at just over a foot taller. This guy is 'powerfully built'.

Return to Aldur’s Tower