The War in the West

A quiet corner reserved for the telling of many and varied tales, and discussion of the literary arts.
Author

The War in the West

Post by Lensman »

I didn't want to clog up the Introductions Thread any more (I'm being extraordinarily lawful and trying to keep topics in their respective areas, despite them struggling to break out and invade other parts of the Tavern) so I thought I'd make a thread for Baron Korgor's epic tale.

I'm about half way through it, and I've encountered Transformed (men changed into pseudo-minotaurs), real minotaurs, electric heliographs and a fair amount of blood and death - this is a major war grinding across the continent, with the necessary bravery and horrors that war brings. I'm enjoying it - it helps that I'd read the others Paul's written, so I have a clear idea of who is who and what is going on.

More updates once I've finished it.

Lensman

Re: The War in the West

Post by Lensman »

Well, I've now finished The War in the West, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'd have posted this commentary on it sooner but our internet has been messing us around. It's now fully repaired, so I'm back in cyberspace.

The War in the West is the direct sequel to Rising Star, which depicted the rise of the unpleasant villain, Eustace. The War in the West is the account of the Eustacian war as it rips through Baron Korgor's fantasy world. The novel does a fine job of depicting the grim realities of warfare, and also the importance of supply lines and logistics, something a fair number of fantasy novels ignore. As someone who likes to see strong female characters, I thoroughly approve of Maria and Jemina, two strong women who take up swords and command troops with significant skill and hold their own alongside the male characters.
My only mild criticism is that it is clear from early on that the heroes are in the ascendant – but if you've already read the War Beyond the Veil sequence you already know how the conflict will end. What's interesting is how the story gets there.
The book's an easy, entertaining read, with occasional humour and nicely-portrayed, if straightforward characters, and it concludes the saga begun in Rising Star. I enjoyed it, but you need to read Rising Star first, or it won't make that much sense.

Unless you've any major objections to it, Korgor, I'll post this on Amazon in the next couple of days. How are you getting on with Impcatcher?